Recent Report on the French Cultural NetworkMay 21, 2014
I’ve just come across a September 2013 report by the French Cour des Comptes* on Le réseau culturel de la France à l’étranger (France’s Foreign Cultural Network). I haven’t been through it at in detail yet but If you read French this looks like a really useful picture of the state of things in France.
The main recommendations of the report are
1. The network needs more professionalization.
2 . There should be an agreed strategy between the ministries involved.
3 . Evaluation of projects
4. More power to the French Institute and Campus France within their respective networks.
5. Follow up on alumni of the network
6. Better coordination between the public network (ie French Institutes and Cultural Centres) and the Alliance Française.
7. Better financial management
8. Better measures of the impact of the network.
9. Evaluation of economic impact of network.
I think that that these are the same recommendations that all reports on the network have been making since at least the Rapport Rigaud in 1979; come to think of it most of them apply to most reports on cultural relations or public diplomacy in most countries.
*Court of Auditors. I guess that this would be equivalent to a National Audit Office report in the UK or a Government Accountability Office publication in the US.